So, I recently registered my own .com.np domain. Mercantile Communications Pvt. Ltd. provides .np NPccTLD (country code top-level domain) to Nepali citizens for free. You can get .np TLD based on your name for personal use, and also, if you have an organization registered at Nepal, you can get a .np name of your organization for free.
Earlier, you needed to visit Mercantile’s office with the required documents in order to register the domain. But, now, the process is much easier as you can register your own .com.np domain for free, from your home. You just need to have these documents ready:
For personal usage
- A scanned copy of the applicant’s citizenship certificate or passport.
- A scanned copy of an application letter. (I am going to let you know what to write, don’t worry. You don’t need a scan, either. Just make sure you have the above document. If you do, keep on reading.)
For Company or Organization
- A scanned copy of an application letter written in the company/organization’s letter-head pad, stamped and signed by an authorized officer.
- A scanned copy of the company/organization registration certificate issued by Office of the Company Registrar, Nepal.
- A scanned copy to verify that annual tax of the company is being maintained.
Note that driver’s license or any other identification documents besides passport & citizenship do not work. Also, if you are registering domain for personal use, you can only get domains related to your name. That means, the domain name should consist either your first name, middle name, last name or your full name (the one mentioned on your citizenship/passport). You cannot use any name you like. So, if you have not gotten yourself a domain yet, you should get one now – before someone else registers a domain on your first name.
Here is what you need to do next in order to get .com.np Domains for free :
- Make sure you have all the required documents.
- Visit the Domain registration page. Search for your (.com).np domain and if its available, drag and drop it on the basket. Then, register yourself an account.
- Check your email and click on the verification link. You will receive an email from email@example.com. Make sure to check your junk/spam folder.
- Follow the directions. You might be asked to enter your full name and a password for your account.
- Then you will be asked several details such as your home address, email address, and if you’re registering domain for organization, you will be asked details of your organization. Leave the organization details field empty if you are registering domain for your personal use.
- Enter Nameservers of your host.
- After clicking Next, you will be asked to upload the required documents. So, here’s what you need to do now. If you are registering domain for an organization, provide the documents mentioned above. If you are registering domain for personal use, do this : upload a scanned copy of your passport or citizenship. Then, copy the texts below from Application Letter Sample, paste them on a text editor (for eg. MS Word). Replace/Put correct information on the missing fields. Once it is ready, take a snapshot of it (by using Snapping tool or Print Screen key), crop it (paste it on MS Paint, then crop the image), save it as an image (JPG/PNG) and then upload it on Mercantile’s website. That’s it. You have provided both the required documents : a scan of your passport/citizenship and a (sort-of) scan of the application letter.
- Now, wait for the request to be approved. You will receive an email informing you whether your request has been approved or denied. Your domain should be registered within 3 days.
- You can make necessary changes on the Nameserver by logging in to your account at any time.
Application Letter Sample.
To Hostmaster, Mercantile Communications, Durbarmarga, Kathmandu, Nepal
I have successfully followed and completed all the steps for the domain registration. As per the guideline, I am sending in this application letter for confirmation. I have also attached a scanned copy of both the sides of my citizenship. Hope my domain will be registered soon.
Domain: Your domain address
Best regards,Name: Email: Address: Contact number:
[divider]Thanks to Sandip Bhagat for providing sample application letter.