It took me about a week of my Dashain vacation to make this simple captcha breaker (5 days to be exact). I had been reading Image Processing in my CS undergrad for some time then, and wanted to put my skills to use, although, I must admit, its not as overly complicated or full of image processing bits as I’d have likely enjoyed. I had only learned the basics when I started doing this. If I were to do it now, I would have definitely done it differently.
Neural Network was one of the electives available during my 5th semester, and knowing that it was available, I was certain that I wanted to study it over any other electives. But, unfortunately (or fortunately), my college, as it is with many other colleges of Nepal, made it a compulsion to take Cryptography as the elective subject. I, obviously, wanted to study Neural Net and could not convince the college on teaching ANN instead of Cryptography. I was left with no choice but to study both, which I did. A few of us studied both the subjects as an elective. Since the teacher was not available during the weekdays, we took classes on every weekend for 3 hours each. So, there were no holidays for us, for 4 months, I think.
I used this dataset while doing a project for my undergrad coursework of Neural Network. We had to implement a handwritten digit recognition neural net using the MNIST dataset. Upon accomplishing it, I looked around for Devanagari dataset and found one located at CVResearchNepal.com, which seems to have expired as of this moment.