I had posted earlier an article explaining how you could get a US number and forward SMS sent to your own local phone for free. Since that method expired a long time back, I've come up with this new tutorial.
At the end of this tutorial, you are going to have your own dedicated US number( for which we are going to use Google Voice) and have SMS' and voice mail sent to it to be forwarded to your own *international* mobile phone for free. Since this includes the use of many web services, you have to go through a seemingly long process, so I have broken down the tutorial into three parts.
What you need to understand is, Google provides a virtual US number to US residents only. So, to make sure that you are from US, it calls you on your US phone and you have to enter certain code to verify your identity. But, we can easily bypass that by getting ourselves a US phone and receiving calls made to that number online, on our own personal Computer.
It's pretty easy to do. Here's a detailed step-by-step guide on how to do it.
Follow the above guide and you should have your own US number to receive calls online on your PC. Make note of it as we will require it later. Also, don't close the Nonoh Software yet.
Now, let's move on to the next part.
- Use Hotspot Shield or Platinum Hide IP to grab a US proxy. Remember, you need to prove that you are from USA to get a US virtual number.
- Open up your Nonoh client and log in to it (The software from Part one.)
- Login to Gmail and then go to Google Voice.
- Now look at the bottom of the left sidebar, you should see a Get a voice number link, click on that.
- Click on I want a new number.
- Enter a text or zip code or city name whose number you'd like to have. Then, select a number from the list. Press on Continue. Choose a 4 digit to access your voicemail and click on Continue.
- Now, enter your IPkall number that you got from the guide on part one and press on Continue.
- Click on Call me Now.
- You'll receive a call on your Nonoh client on your PC. Go to the Dial pad of Nonoh and enter the verification code (i.e. 64 in this case). Your account will be verified.
Congratulations, you have gotten yourself a US phone no. Take a look at the picture above. It says Reclaim a verified phone because some one had used the same IPKall number to verify his/her Google Voice account. IPKall will delete the account and provide the number to new users if you don't use it for at least 30 days. New users might use the same IPKall no. to verify their Google voice account and your Google voice no. will also be deleted. So, make sure to call yourself on your PC (using the guide on first part) at least once every 30 days. That way, no one can re-claim your IPkall no. and you won't have to loose your Google Voice number as well.
Here you need to decide how you are going to get the SMS sent to the above US phone to be forwarded to your own local phone.
There's two way to do it, either by using Email to SMS service or by using Ifttt. Read below to know which one suits you the best.
Email to SMS
Email to SMS service is a simple text-forwarding service.
Go here to learn about it.
Skip this option and head over to the next one (i.e. Ifttt) if your operator does not provide Email to SMS service.
Here's what you need to do now (for those whose operator provides the service) :
- Go to Google Voice Settings.
- Click on Add a new email address beside Voicemail Notifications
- On the new page, enter your unique mail to SMS address as an alternate email. Then click on Save.
- You'll receive a new SMS on your mobile with a confirmation link. Open that confirmation link either on your computer or on your mobile phone, whichever suits you the most.
- You'll be asked to log in to your Gmail account. Log in.
- Re-load Google Voice Settings and select your newly verified e-mail address from the drop down list. And click on Save changes.
For those whose mobile operator does not provide Email to SMS service, please follow this guide.
- Join Ifttt for free.
- Log in to the site once you are done registering.
- Log in to your Gmail.
- Go here and click on activate.
- Click on Grant access once the new page gets loaded.
- Go here and click on activate.
- Enter your own mobile number (include the ’00′ and country code) and press on Send PIN. You should receive a PIN in next few seconds/minutes. Enter that PIN on the PIN field of the site and press on Activate.
- Now go here and click on Use Recipe.